Students with bicycles in a park in Berlin.

A preliminary preparation necessary for Pakistani students.

How can I find a suitable degree course?

German universities offer a total of more than 1600 degree courses in English language. Most foreign students go for these courses, since they prefer to cover their course work and write their thesis in English rather than in German language. Of course, foreign students are also welcome to enroll to degree courses in German language. Proof of sufficient knowledge of German is however a precondition in this case. Find your degree course at Study in Germany, at the Higher Education Compass or use our International Programmes database.

How can I check the ranking of a university in Germany?

In general, all German research universities and universities of applied sciences all meet a high standard of research and teaching. University ranking is thus not that common in Germany. Ranking is done for single subjects instead. Use the CHE ranking according to your own priorities.

Which requirements do I have to meet when applying for an undergraduate or master degree course?

Undergraduate Course

The Pakistani Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC) is not considered as equivalent to a German Secondary School Certificate (Abitur). As a holder of a Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC), you have to complete one year of undergraduate studies at a university in Pakistan before you may apply for an undergraduate course in the same field in Germany. Another option is to visit a foundation course in Germany (Studienkolleg) and pass a test (Feststellungsprüfung) before you are eligible to apply for an undergraduate course.

For detailed information on the foundation courses in Germany, please visit Preparatory & Introductory Courses or the website of the Studienkollegs.

You need, however, basic knowledge of German when applying for a foundation course. High school graduates holding an A-level may apply directly for an undergraduate course at a German university depending on the number and the field of their A-level subjects.

Please read through the following guidelines if you wish to go for undergraduate studies:

Master courses

Applicants have to have competed 16 years of education (M.Sc., M.A., B.Eng., BS Honors) before applying for a Master’s course in Germany.

How can I apply?

If the university you wish to apply to participates in the programme Application Services for International Students, you have to apply via UNI-ASSIST. With one application submitted to UNI-ASSIST, you can apply to several universities at a time. You will have to pay a fee of 55 Euro for your first application and 15 Euro for all additional universities you want to apply to.

If your university is not participating in the UNI-ASSIST programme, you have to apply to the university directly. You will find all information concerning application on the university’s website or on the website of the selected degree course.

Do I need to know German?

For all international degree courses with English as language of instruction the requirements are listed on the website of the programme. In most cases a certain IELTS or TOEFL score is required. When applying for a programme in German language, you have to pass a respective German language exam.

But even if you plan to study in English language, it is highly advisable to learn enough German to be able to communicate with people.

In Pakistan, German language courses are offered by Goethe Institute Karachi, Annemarie Schimmel Haus Lahore and National University of Modern Languages (NUML) Islamabad and several other providers. For more information please visit Learning German in Pakistan.

Where can I get my certificates, transcripts and degrees attested?

Your Secondary School Certificate (SSC-Metric certificate) and Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC-FA / F SC certificate need to be attested by the Inter Board Committee of Chairmen (IBCC). Your Bachelor, Master and M Phil / MS degree and transcripts have to be attested by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan.

Students who have done an O / A level have to get their records attested by the British Council Pakistan.